Application & Administrative Procedures
Review the application procedures:
- Grant applications may be submitted at any time.
- Applicants shall contact the Downtown Economic Development Director to establish potential eligibility of proposed improvements.
- A complete application form shall be submitted to the Downtown Economic Development Director, including appropriate drawings, budget estimates, two current bids for the proposed work, and proof of ownership or executed lease with owner’s written consent. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit “before project photos.” Applicant will be required to submit “after completion” photos during a “Project Completion” presentation.
- Applicants shall submit at least two formal written bids for all work being proposed in the project. Sole source bidding may be approved by the Lenoir Business Advisory Board (LBAB) Grant Committee for specialized work if reasonable attempts to obtain a second bid have been unsuccessful. Contractor Applicants shall submit copies of estimates for all materials, along with anticipated dates of construction and completion, as part of the application Please include the following:
- Names and license number of contractors
- Copies of all bids and photos
- Anticipated dates to begin construction and for project completion
- The Applicant or a designated representative will attend preliminary presentation meeting and a post project completion meeting with the LBAB Grant Committee members. The LBAB Grant Committee members will not take action on an application unless the Applicant agrees to these presentation meetings. Grant committee members may make requests that applicants also make these presentations at a monthly LBAB meeting.
- Revised plans shall be submitted to the Downtown Economic Development Director immediately.
- If the LBAB Grant Committee recommends approval, the application and a Grant Agreement shall be forwarded to the LBAB for approval.
- If approved, the BUILD Grant Agreement shall be signed by the Applicant and the City of Lenoir a provided in Item 5 of Administrative Procedures, listed below.
- Applicants shall apply for and receive a building permit prior to undertaking any work requiring a permit under the Building Code.
- Construction shall proceed according to the approved plans and subject to periodic inspections. Construction must be completed within 180 days of execution of the Agreement, unless a written extension is granted by the LBAB Grant Committee.
- Applicants shall submit final receipts and lien waivers to the Downtown Economic Development Director to request reimbursement.
- Applicants shall maintain these improvements to the property without changes or alterations to work funded by the BUILD Grant Program for a period of two years from the date of completion. The City Council may require the owner of the benefiting property to consent to imposition of a lien on the property to insure that the property continues to be maintained in accordance with the terms of the grant and that there are no alterations or removal of improvements funded by the grant without the express written consent of the City. In the event there are unauthorized alterations or removal of improvements funded by the grant that result in diminution of value of the grant, the owner shall reimburse the City for the lost value. In the event the owner refuses to so compensate the City, the City shall have the right but not the obligation to foreclose the lien in order to collect the debt. The lien shall be released by the City at the end of the period of three years from the date of completion unless foreclosure activity is taking place, it appears reasonably likely that foreclosure will be necessary or there has been a refusal by the owner to compensate the City and the City has chosen to defer foreclosure of the lien.
Learn about the administrative procedures process:
- Upon submittal, the Downtown Economic Development Director will review the application to ensure that it contains all necessary information, including:
- Drawings and specifications
- Preliminary cost estimates
- Proof of ownership or executed lease with owner’s written consent.
- The Director will prepare written notification to the Applicant confirming receipt of the application. If the application is incomplete, a detail of all remaining items will be included. When the application is complete the Director will notify the Applicant of the date of the LBAB Grant Committee meeting when the application will be discussed.
- The Downtown Economic Development Director shall present complete applications to the LBAB Grant Committee for review.
- The LBAB Grant Committee shall review each application and make a recommendation for approval or disapproval.
- A Project Presentation Meeting will then be scheduled with the Applicant and the LBAB Grant Committee outlining the project details
- If the LBAB Grant Committee recommends approval, the Downtown Economic Development Director shall prepare a BUILD Grant Agreement. The Agreement shall be signed by the Applicant and the City of Lenoir prior to any initial project work.
- When the project is completed, a Project Completion Presentation Meeting will be scheduled presenting photos and the LBAB Grant Committee Members shall inspect all work done and document that the Applicant has made the improvements as per the Agreement and approved plans. The LBAB Grants Committee may also expect the Applicant to share their success story and improvements with the LBAB members and request that the Applicant attend a monthly LBAB meeting.
- Upon determination that the work has been satisfactorily completed and all lien waivers have been received (if applicable), the Downtown Economic Development Director shall approve the release of a check in the amount of the approved grant to the Applicant.
- The Downtown Economic Development Director shall maintain a record of each complete application.