- City Government
- City Council
The City of Lenoir operates under the council-manager form of government. The council-manager form is the most popular structure of government in the United States among municipalities with populations of 2,500 or more. Under this form, residents elect a governing body, the council, to adopt legislation and set policy. The council then hires a manager and gives the manager broad executive authority to carry out those policies and oversee the local government’s day-to-day operations.
The City Council consists of the Mayor and seven council members.
Agendas & Minutes
Boards & Authorities
Mission & Vision
The Mission and Vision for the City of Lenoir is reviewed and adopted every year during Council's annual planning retreate.
The mission of the City of Lenoir is:
- to serve all citizens and the community by providing a clean, safe, healthy, and attractive living and business environment, through the efficient delivery of essential city services in a fiscally responsible and equitable manner.
- to identify, plan, and act on opportunities for preserving and improving the quality of life of all of our citizens and community.
We aspire to be the city of choice in western North Carolina for current and future generations—beautiful, clean and safe. We will achieve our vision through:
- a healthy economy
- strong businesses
- vital neighborhoods
- a vibrant downtown
- extensive recreational and cultural opportunities
We will preserve Lenoir’s friendly, small town atmosphere and celebrate the diversity of our people.
We require a city government that is:
- accessible and engaged with the public
- efficient and responsive
- an employer of choice
- forward thinking
- honest and ethical
- inclusive and equitable
- innovative and collaborative
- fiscally responsible