Charters of Freedom

The Caldwell County Charters of Freedom are located beside the Caldwell County Courthouse in Downtown Lenoir. Community leaders and elected officials dedicated the setting July 3, 2019. The project was led and funded by Foundation Forward, Inc. and completed with the help of Caldwell County Public Schools and the City of Lenoir Public Works Department. 

This is the first Charters of Freedom setting built with the assistance of local high school students. Students from the masonry programs at Hibriten High School, South Caldwell High School, and West Caldwell High School bricked the setting.

View the Charters of Freedom location on Google Maps.

Visit chartersoffreedom.com  for more information about the project and Foundation Forward, Inc.

About the Charters of Freedom

The original Charters of Freedom are on display in The Rotunda at the National Archives in Washington, D.C. The Declaration of Independence was adopted July 4, 1776. The United States Constitution was adopted Sept. 17, 1787, ratified in 1788, and became the law of the land March 4, 1789. The Bill of Rights was proposed Sept. 25, 1789, as 12 amendments; ten were ratified Dec. 15, 1791. The remaining two were not ratified but appear on the original document. These first ten amendments ratified are our Bill of Rights.

Charters of Freedom setting in Downtown Lenoir
A close up of the Constitution in the Charters of Freedom setting in Downtown Lenoir