Who do I call for code enforcement?

Code enforcement is split between the Planning Department and Police Department. The Zoning and Housing Inspector in Planning enforces violations of the zoning, housing, and building ordinances. The Nuisance Abatement Investigator in Police enforces violations of the public nuisance and animal ordinances.

Zoning and Housing Issues

Call 828-757-2212 to report or inquire about:

  • Zoning use violations — businesses operating in the wrong zoning district or without a license
  • Zoning building violations — work without permits, improper improvements
  • Deteriorated or dilapidated commercial structures
  • Deteriorated or dilapidated residential structures
  • Mobile home park inspections
  • Permits and inspections of wind-blown advertising devices, inflatables, and banners
  • Sign violations (off-site signs, signs without permits, illegal signs)
  • Backyard chicken permits and inspections

Nuisance Issues

Call 828-757-2143 to report or inquire about:

  • Overgrowth of grass, weeds, poison sumac, poison ivy, poison oak, or other noxious vegetation.
  • Outdoor storage/accumulation of discarded appliances, machinery, equipment, furniture, etc.
  • Junk/abandoned vehicles
  • Trash and Debris
  • Noise complaints
  • Outdoor storage of old or unusable building supplies (lumber, bricks, nails, plumping, HVAC, etc.)
  • Rotten, damaged, or dilapidated sheds 
  • Stabling/pasturing livestock or 5+ chickens
  • Breeding dogs (“puppy mills”)

Show All Answers

1. Who do I call for code enforcement?
2. Do I need a permit for an Accessory Structure (Garages, Pools, Storage buildings, etc.)?
3. Can I make improvements to my property if it's located in a Flood Zone?
4. Do I Need a Zoning Permit for Single-Family Residential Construction?
5. What is the difference between a manufactured home and a modular home? What can I place on my residential lot?
6. Does Lenoir allow multifamily developments?
7. What is a privilege license and when do I need one?
8. What is the process to open a billiard / pool hall?
9. Does the city allow alcohol sales and how do I get my Alcoholic Beverage Control permit?
10. Do I have to undergo a background check to practice massage therapy?
11. What is conditional zoning?
12. What is a conditional use permit?
13. How do I apply for a zoning variance?
14. How can I verify the address of my property or get assigned a new address?
15. What is the difference between a minor, family or exempt subdivision, and how can I get one recorded?
16. When is a subdivision considered "major" and what is the approval process?
17. Can I appeal a decision of the Planning Department?