Can I make improvements to my property if it's located in a Flood Zone?

Any activity within a designated "Special Flood Hazard Area" (commonly referred to at the 100 Year Flood Zone or Floodway) requires a Floodplain Development Permit approved by the Floodplain Administrator (the Lenoir Planning Director). This includes grading, filling, construction of buildings, and even the installation of permanent landscaping.

Proposed projects are reviewed and conditions imposed on any permits issued to reduce the potential for damage from floodwater. All structures proposed within the floodplain will need flood-proofing or elevation certificates from professional engineers or surveyors. Any development within the Floodway (the "non-encroachment area") must be certified by an engineer to cause zero rise in the base flood elevation.

View the Lenoir's Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance.

Show All Answers

1. Who do I call for code enforcement?
2. Do I need a permit for an Accessory Structure (Garages, Pools, Storage buildings, etc.)?
3. Can I make improvements to my property if it's located in a Flood Zone?
4. Do I Need a Zoning Permit for Single-Family Residential Construction?
5. What is the difference between a manufactured home and a modular home? What can I place on my residential lot?
6. Does Lenoir allow multifamily developments?
7. What is a privilege license and when do I need one?
8. What is the process to open a billiard / pool hall?
9. Does the city allow alcohol sales and how do I get my Alcoholic Beverage Control permit?
10. Do I have to undergo a background check to practice massage therapy?
11. What is conditional zoning?
12. What is a conditional use permit?
13. How do I apply for a zoning variance?
14. How can I verify the address of my property or get assigned a new address?
15. What is the difference between a minor, family or exempt subdivision, and how can I get one recorded?
16. When is a subdivision considered "major" and what is the approval process?
17. Can I appeal a decision of the Planning Department?