Can I appeal a decision of the Planning Department?

An appeal from any final zoning decision of the Planning Department may be taken to the Board of Adjustment. An appeal is taken by filing a written notice of appeal specifying the grounds. An appeal must be taken within thirty days after the date of the decision by the Planning Department. The Board of Adjustment may reverse, affirm, or modify a decision of the Planning Department.

The appeal process works similar to court proceedings. All comments must be made in the form of sworn testimony. Following testimony and submitted evidence, the Board of Adjustment will make a finding of facts, and render a decision based on those facts and their application to the law.

Appeals to Board of Adjustment decisions must be taken to Caldwell County Superior Court within 30 days of the Board's ruling.

Show All Answers

1. Who do I call for code enforcement?
2. Do I need a permit for an Accessory Structure (Garages, Pools, Storage buildings, etc.)?
3. Can I make improvements to my property if it's located in a Flood Zone?
4. Do I Need a Zoning Permit for Single-Family Residential Construction?
5. What is the difference between a manufactured home and a modular home? What can I place on my residential lot?
6. Does Lenoir allow multifamily developments?
7. What is a privilege license and when do I need one?
8. What is the process to open a billiard / pool hall?
9. Does the city allow alcohol sales and how do I get my Alcoholic Beverage Control permit?
10. Do I have to undergo a background check to practice massage therapy?
11. What is conditional zoning?
12. What is a conditional use permit?
13. How do I apply for a zoning variance?
14. How can I verify the address of my property or get assigned a new address?
15. What is the difference between a minor, family or exempt subdivision, and how can I get one recorded?
16. When is a subdivision considered "major" and what is the approval process?
17. Can I appeal a decision of the Planning Department?