Do I need a permit for an Accessory Structure (Garages, Pools, Storage buildings, etc.)?

A zoning permit is required for any accessory structure (shed, detached garage, in-ground or above-ground pool, carport, barn, etc.) that is:

  • Larger than 144 square feet
  • Has any one dimension greater than 12 feet
  • Will contain electrical or plumbing service

Accessory structures smaller than 144 square feet do not require zoning or building permits. Such structures must be located in the side (non-corner lots) or rear yards and be setback a minimum of 5 ft. from all property lines.

Appearance & Location Standards

Residential Districts - Two accessory structures are permitted per lot, in the side or rear yard only, with a maximum height of 20 feet Accessory structures cannot cover more than 30% of the required side or rear yard.

Under certain circumstances, the design standards do not apply to accessory structures that are:

  • Located in an R-R or R-20 zoning district or
  • Located on tracts of land 5 acres or larger and
  • Screened on the sides and rear in accordance with Sec. 712.8 of the Zoning Ordinance and
  • Setback at least 250 feet from any street right-of-way and at least 50 feet from adjoining property lines and
  • Designed with a minimum roof pitch of 3:12 with 12-inch overhangs

Show All Answers

1. Who do I call for code enforcement?
2. Do I need a permit for an Accessory Structure (Garages, Pools, Storage buildings, etc.)?
3. Can I make improvements to my property if it's located in a Flood Zone?
4. Do I Need a Zoning Permit for Single-Family Residential Construction?
5. What is the difference between a manufactured home and a modular home? What can I place on my residential lot?
6. Does Lenoir allow multifamily developments?
7. What is a privilege license and when do I need one?
8. What is the process to open a billiard / pool hall?
9. Does the city allow alcohol sales and how do I get my Alcoholic Beverage Control permit?
10. Do I have to undergo a background check to practice massage therapy?
11. What is conditional zoning?
12. What is a conditional use permit?
13. How do I apply for a zoning variance?
14. How can I verify the address of my property or get assigned a new address?
15. What is the difference between a minor, family or exempt subdivision, and how can I get one recorded?
16. When is a subdivision considered "major" and what is the approval process?
17. Can I appeal a decision of the Planning Department?