A zoning permit is required for any accessory structure (shed, detached garage, in-ground or above-ground pool, carport, barn, etc.) that is:
- Larger than 144 square feet
- Has any one dimension greater than 12 feet
- Will contain electrical or plumbing service
Accessory structures smaller than 144 square feet do not require zoning or building permits. Such structures must be located in the side (non-corner lots) or rear yards and be setback a minimum of 5 ft. from all property lines.
Appearance & Location Standards
Residential Districts - Two accessory structures are permitted per lot, in the side or rear yard only, with a maximum height of 20 feet Accessory structures cannot cover more than 30% of the required side or rear yard.
Under certain circumstances, the design standards do not apply to accessory structures that are:
- Located in an R-R or R-20 zoning district or
- Located on tracts of land 5 acres or larger and
- Screened on the sides and rear in accordance with Sec. 712.8 of the Zoning Ordinance and
- Setback at least 250 feet from any street right-of-way and at least 50 feet from adjoining property lines and
- Designed with a minimum roof pitch of 3:12 with 12-inch overhangs